Thank you for your interest in cooking for Harpswell Aging at Home’s Meals in a Pinch (MIP) program. Here’s a look at how things work.
- Meals are packed every other Tuesday. Each recipient receives four meals, some fresh and some frozen.
- You decide what you want to cook. The dishes we usually need the most are those suitable for diabetics, low carbohydrate vegetables, soups with no pasta, etc. The majority of the recipients are not fond of really spicy foods, and enjoy the basics, although we do have some folks who are adventurous eaters.
- Generally, ingredients are donated by cooks but we do have food gift cards available if needed. We can often access some ingredients like root vegetables and we do have some meat in the freezer. If you are interested in using some of these foods, please check with Julie to see what is available.
- Dishes should serve between 8-12 people and be well-chilled at delivery. You can cook at your convenience and freeze your dish. If made previous to the Sunday before the MIP date, it should be frozen.
- Send a list of ingredients to [email protected] by noon of the Sunday preceding MIP. Everything that we send out needs an ingredient label. This also aids us in planning what meals can go to those on special diets.
- Food should be delivered in a disposable container, such as a foil pan, or zip lock bags, due to Covid concerns. We can provide containers, zip lock bags and foil pans if you need them.
- Don’t portion your food out. We prefer to divide things into servings on site as we mix and match with other foods to make balanced meals.
- Deliver your food between 8:45 & 9:30, to the Church of the Nazarene, 806 Harpswell Islands Rd. In the event you want to cook and can’t deliver on Tuesday please reach out to [email protected] or 207-330-5416 to make arrangements. When you deliver, please be sure to check at the entrance for various food items we provide for cooking for MIP through partnerships with the Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program and Merrymeeting Gleaners.
To sign up to cook, we use a program called Sign Up Genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a094bafa82ca6f58-meals
To learn how to use Sign Up Genius, please visit https://www.signupgenius.com/faq/how-to-sign-up.cfm for help.
If the slots are filled already, it means we have enough foods of that category for that week.
If you prefer not to use Sign Up Genius, let Julie know what you would like to make and the week you would like to make it.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to Julie Moulton with any questions: [email protected] or 207-330-5416.